Hampden Township Citizen Police Academy
The Hampden Township Police Department will once again conduct its Citizens' Police Academy this fall. The Academy classes are conducted at the Police Department once a week for eight weeks from September through November. The course syllabus includes instruction and scenario based training on various aspects of law enforcement.
- An overview of the criminal justice system
- DUI and its enforcement
- Use of force and Special Emergency Team (SRT) applications
- Patrol procedures, traffic stops, speed enforcement and officer safety
- Criminal investigations
- Crimes Code discussion and the structure of laws.
- The role of the County Prison, 911 Dispatchers, the Sheriff and the District Attorney.
Each week, the participants will engage in a classroom discussion of one of the topics followed by an activity related to the topic.
The following applies to application, entry and continued participation in the Citizens Police Academy:
- Applicants must be at least 16 years of age or older at the time of applying. Applicants under the age of 18 must have adult supervision.
- Applicants should be residents, business owners or work at a business in Hampden Township; preference given to Hampden Township residents.
- All applicants will be subject to a limited record check.
- Limited travel is required for some off-site locations so only properly licensed and insured drivers are accepted.
- The Chief of Police has final approval of all applications and reserves the right to deny entry to any applicant. Accepted applicants will be notified by phone or email.
- The Academy is free of charge to all members. Class size is limited to 20 (minimum of 12).
- Dress for class is casual.
- Qualified applicants who are denied admission due to class size constraints will be given preference when the next Academy session is scheduled. Applicants are accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
- Most classes will be held at the Hampden Township Municipal Building located at 230 S. Sporting Hill Road, Mechanicsburg, Pa 17050.
- Classes will typically run from mid-September through mid-November.
- Classes will be held on Wednesday evenings from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Class cancellations due to weather, etc., will be posted on our website or via text on day of class.
- Attendees who miss more than 2 nights of classes will not be allowed to return.
- Continued participation in this program is at the discretion of the Department. Acceptance into the program does not guarantee access to the entire program.
- Attendees agree to allow their photographic images to be used for Department purposes.
For additional information, visit our Facebook page or look for the article in the Township's Newsletter.