Utility Payment Assistance Programs

Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) – a temporary emergency program to help low-income families pay overdue water and wastewater bills.  LIHWAP is a grant which does not have to be repaid.  Applicants can receive one crisis grant for your wastewater service, up to $ 2,500.  
To apply for the LIHWAP program, visit www.compass.state.pa.us to apply online, request an application by calling the Department of Human Services at 877-395-8930 or by visiting the Cumberland County Assistance Office at 33 Westminster Drive, Carlisle (717-240-2700).

Pennsylvania 211 - If you need to connect with resources in your community, but don’t know where to look, PA 211 is a great place to start. From help with a utilities bill, to housing assistance, after-school programs for kids, and more, you can dial 211, visit www.pa211.org,  or text your zip code to 898-211 to talk with a resource specialist for free. The specialists will listen to your needs, and give you information on programs in your community that might be able to help.