A Call to End Littering in Hampden Township
Let's Keep Our Home Clean and Beautiful
Last Thursday, at the Hampden Township Board of Commissioners meeting, one of our concerned residents bravely brought up an issue that affects us all - littering in our beautiful township. This community-driven call to action has prompted us to reflect on the importance of maintaining our surroundings and working together to keep Hampden Township pristine.
Hampden Township is renowned for its natural beauty, friendly community, and a welcoming atmosphere. Our parks, streets, and public spaces are treasures that we all enjoy and benefit from, and our Township staff works tirelessly to maintain them. It is essential for each of us to take responsibility for preserving these assets for future generations. Littering not only detracts from the aesthetic appeal of our township but also poses environmental and safety risks.
Why is Littering a Problem?
Littering not only ruins the visual charm of our community but has far-reaching consequences. It can harm wildlife, contaminate water sources, and increase fire hazards. Additionally, litter attracts more litter, creating a cycle of degradation that is challenging to break. We, the residents of Hampden Township, have the power to make a positive change.
Working Together to Combat Littering
To combat littering, we must come together as a community. Here are some steps we can all take to keep our township clean:
- Lead by Example: Always dispose of your trash properly. Use trash receptacles, recycle when possible, and participate in community clean-up events.
- Educate and Inform: Encourage your friends, family, and neighbors to be mindful of their trash. Sometimes, a friendly reminder is all it takes.
- Organize Clean-Up Events: Join or start community clean-up events to make a collective impact. These events can help remove existing litter and raise awareness about the issue.
- Support Local Initiatives: Many local organizations work to combat litter and beautify the township. Consider volunteering or donating to these efforts.
- Report Littering: If you witness someone littering, report it to the local authorities.
One Resident's Concern Becomes a Community Cause
The recent discussion at the Hampden Township Board of Commissioners meeting was initiated by a passionate resident who noticed the growing litter problem. Their call to action has reminded us that it only takes one concerned individual to spark positive change within our community.
His message was clear: let's keep our township beautiful, welcoming, and safe for all residents and visitors. It's time for us to take responsibility for our environment, stand up against littering, and preserve the unique charm that makes Hampden Township such a special place to live.
Through the Township’s Adopt-A-Highway program, civic, social and school groups, businesses, and individuals over the age of 18 can help reduce the amount of litter along Hampden roads and recreation areas. Additional information about the Adopt-A-Highway program can be found HERE.
In addition, if you have any issues with your trash collection or items being spilled during collection, please don’t hesitate to contact the township directly at 717-761-0119.
By working together, we can make a significant difference in keeping our beloved township clean and beautiful. Together, we can set an example for future generations and ensure that Hampden Township remains a place we are proud to call home.