APRIL 12, 19, 26, MAY 3 AND MAY 10, 2018 • 6:30 PM TO 9 PM
Through classroom presentation and hands on exercises, citizens will achieve a greater understanding of the inner workings of the Hampden Township Volunteer Fire Company. In order to provide a quality program, the academy will consist of no more than twelve students. Applicants must be 18 years of age and currently reside in Hampden Township. Participants are encouraged to participate in all practical demonstrations. However, because of the voluntary nature of the program, physical limitations of applicants will not be considered a reason for exclusion from the academy. The academy will be five weeks in length, one night per week (Thursdays) from 6:30 P.M. until 9:00 P.M. All classes will be conducted at Good Hope Station at 1200 Good Hope Road. For more information or to register for the academy contact Deputy Fire Chief Jerry Ozog at 717-497-5306 or at email@example.com
Goals and Objectives of the Academy
• To provide residents a basic understanding of the tactics and strategies of firefighting and rescue operations and to serve as a method of recruiting new members.
• To provide a greater understanding of the services the Hampden Township Volunteer Fire Company is able to provide.
• To encourage academy participants to return to their families and neighborhoods and share their experiences. This will provide more safety conscious and informed citizens.
• To provide an enjoyable, interactive atmosphere in which fire company members and citizens can share information and concerns.
Citizens’ Fire Academy Curriculum
Thursday, April 12 – Week One
• Introduction to the Fire Service / Firefighter Safety
• Firefighting Equipment / Protective Clothing and Breathing Apparatus
Thursday, April 19 – Week Two
• Fire Extinguishers
• Fire Attack Methods / Fire Streams
Thursday, April 26 – Week Three
• Ropes and Ladders
• Aerial Operations
Thursday, May 3 – Week Four
• Vehicle Rescue and Hazardous Materials
Thursday, May 10 – Week Five
• Fire Academy Graduation